The goal of the Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) Growth Plan is to promote mutually beneficial relationships between JBLM and surrounding communities, while carefully planning and coordinating facilities and infrastructure to best serve the base and benefit local communities. The final draft of the Plan was released in mid-December and can be downloaded here: http://www.jblm-growth.com/
Dan Penrose from the City of Lakewood and Jon Pascal, a consultant for the Transpo Group presented the transportation-related recommendations in the Growth Plan to RAMP this morning. The recommendations were identified by an expert panel of community members and serve to prioritize transportation-related investments on and around JBLM.
High priority transportation recommendations include:
1. Improve regional mobility through I-5 improvements
2. Improve regional mobility through HOV and transit improvements
3. Reduce traffic congestion through transportation demand management policies and strategies
4. Reduce military –related impacts on I-5 flow through JBLM gate and on-post transportation improvements, including completing the Joint Base connector
5. Complete the Cross-Base Highway
The News Tribune reported on the plan in late December. You can view it here:
Wednesday, January 05, 2011
Tuesday, January 04, 2011
Possible improvements the agency is studying include increased parking, pedestrian sidewalks, crosswalks and bridges, bicycle commute options, and transit facility enhancements.
Open houses will include:
• A description of Sound Transit service areas, transit routes, 2011 budget, and the Sound Transit 2 program
• Objectives of and timeline for the Sounder Station Access Planning Study
• Overview of existing station access issues and discussion of potential solutions
• Informal Q & A and public comment
All events take place from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Tacoma - Tuesday, Jan. 18
University of Washington -Tacoma
Jane Russell Commons
1918 Pacific Avenue
Sumner - Wednesday, Jan. 19
High School Commons
1707 Main St.
Puyallup - Thursday, Jan. 20
Puyallup City Hall: Chamber Hall
333 South Meridian
Lakewood – Tuesday, Jan. 25
Lakewood Boys & Girls Club
10402 Kline St SW
Kent - Wednesday, Jan. 26
Kent Senior Activity Center
600 E. Smith Street
Auburn - Thursday, Jan. 27
Auburn City Hall: Council Chamber
25 W. Main Street
The Station Access Study is part of the ST2 regional transit funding package that voters approved in November 2008. The study is planned through 2011.